Monday, June 11, 2007: We are happy to report that the 2007 New York Bar Show offered a schedule of exciting and informative spirits presentations this year that were well attended and lots of fun.
Cocktail historian David Wondrich gave a Museum of the American Cocktail presentation: "Putting History to Work: How to Create a Classic Cocktail List" at the New York Bar Show and demonstrated classic cocktails and ways to make them work in your bar, featuring classics and original cocktails made with Knob Creek, BarSol Pisco, and Plymouth Gin.
Later that afternoon two of the world’s best known mixologists; Dale DeGroff and Tony Abou-Ganim led Finlandia Vodka’s Finnishing School—a vodka education class that provides professional bartenders with a competitive vodka tasting, history of the cocktail, tips and tricks on the tastes and qualities of premium vodkas. This popular one-day course is offered throughout the year in various cities around the world. For more information, contact Kim Charney, 502-774-7291 or Kim_Charney@b-f.com.
Stir well with ice:
- 2 oz Knob Creek bourbon
- 1 oz Noilly Prat dry vermouth
- ½ teaspoon Maraschino Luxardo
- ½ teaspoon Amaro Ciocciaro
Strain into chilled cocktail glass and twist swatch of thin-cut lemon peel over the top.
Shake well with ice:
- 1 1/2 oz Plymouth Gin
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1/2 oz, or less to taste, raspberry syrup
Pour unstrained into Collins glass and top off with cold ginger ale. Add maraschino cherry, paper umbrella and straw.
Bank Exchange Pisco Punch
Combine in mixing glass:
- 2 oz prepared Barsol Pisco/pineapple syrup mix *
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 oz still bottled water
Add ice, shake well and strain into rocks glass over fresh ice. Garnish with marinated pineapple cube.
* 2 parts Barsol Pisco Italia and 1 part pineapple syrup: Prepare by soaking a cubed pineapple overnight in enough rich simple syrup (made with two parts demerara sugar to one part water) and cover.
*Original drink by Tony Abou-Ganim
- 1 ½ oz. Finlandia Grapefruit
- 1 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz. fresh orange juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- ½ oz. Aperol
- ½ oz. egg white (optional, but gives the drink that rich, creamy, frothy, head)
In a 16 oz. mixing glass add Finlandia Grapefruit, Campari, simple syrup, egg white, lemon & orange juices. Shake until well blended; strain into an ice filled double old fashioned glass. Garnish with a slices of orange & lemon or a orange/cherry pinwheel.
Lime in de Coconut
by Dale DeGroff
- 1 1/2 ounces Finlandia Lime Vodka
- 2 ounces home-made ginger syrup
- 2 ounces coconut water
- 1 ounce lime juice
Shake with ice. Strain into a tall ice filled glass and stir.
Garnish with sprig of mint, lime wheel, and long slice of English cucumber.